Stay Silent for Childline on Friday 2nd May

Stay Silent for Childline on Friday 2nd May

RTE’s Fair City teen star Niamh Quirke is supporting Childline’s campaign ‘Stay Silent So Children Can Be Heard’, in a bid to encourage the nation to hold a Sponsored Silence on Friday May 2nd to help Childline make the leap from a traditional phone listening service into the online world.

Over the years there has been an explosion in new technologies and studies are showing that young people are turning away from the traditional phone call and moving to the online world for advice and support. This is why Childline has to move with the times.

Niamh and Childline are challenging the people of Ireland to ‘Stay Silent’ for a minimum of 30 minutes. No Facebook, no Twitter, no emails, no texting, no speaking- signifying the damaging effects and isolation children experience when they are not heard.

Niamh+Quirke-Fair+City-Stay+Silent-Chidline

Mary Gamble, Director of Fundraising at Childline, explains the importance behind raising much needed funds for Childline Online:  “Childline Online has been developed to ensure that children can contact our volunteers in a way in which they feel comfortable. Currently, Childline Online is open from 10am until 10pm. Our ‘Stay Silent’ appeal aims to raise funds to expand the Childline Online service to be a 24 hour lifeline for children who, in their darkest moments, have a connection to someone who is there to listen, support and help them.”

Last year Childline received nearly 700,000 calls and contacts from vulnerable children reaching out for help. Due to a lack of funding 1 in 3 calls go answered. We receive 5% statutory funding  for Childline, with the remaining 95% coming from donations from the public and the generosity of our corporate supporters

 

Donations to the Stay Silent campaign can be made via text by texting the word SILENT to 50300 to donate €2 to Childline.

Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>